Subject: Re: Fast HDLC driver

From: Roland Dreier <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Nov 2002 09:41:59 -0800

>>>>> "Ricardo" == Ricardo Scop <[email-masked]> writes:

    Roland> I don't have a specific answer about HDLC, but I think
    Roland> calling netif_rx() from interrupt context is correct.
    Roland> netif_rx() doesn't do anything except queue the packet for
    Roland> processing and then mark the network softirq.  In fact if
    Roland> you want to call netif_rx() from non-interrupt context
    Roland> then you have to use the netif_rx_ni() function to make
    Roland> sure the softirq runs soon enough.

    Ricardo> Hmm, is this true? QSLinux driver calls netif_rx() from
    Ricardo> thew interrupts bottom half; it it ok?

This should probably be OK.  First, a bottom half is still interrupt
context.  Second, if I recall correctly, Linux 2.2 does not even
define netif_rx_ni().  If the driver works well there's no reason to
change it.

Best,
  Roland

** Sent via the linuxppc-embedded mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/