Subject: PowerPC Build error with patch: powerpc/ppc64: Allow allmodconfig to build (finally !)

From: Mike Qiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 14:36:15 +0800

Hi all,

I face one build error in linux-next git tree, see below:
The platform is IBM P7.

[root@cena01 linux-next]# make -j60
   CHK     include/config/kernel.release
   CHK     include/generated/uapi/linux/version.h
   CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
   CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
<stdin>:1232:2: warning: #warning syscall renameat2 not implemented [-Wcpp]
   CHK     include/generated/compile.h
   CALL    arch/powerpc/kernel/systbl_chk.sh
   CALL    arch/powerpc/kernel/prom_init_check.sh
   AS      arch/powerpc/kernel/head_64.o
arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.S: Assembler messages:
arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.S:269: Error: operand out of range 
(0x000000000000814c is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 
0x0000000000007ffc)
arch/powerpc/kernel/exceptions-64s.S:729: Error: operand out of range 
(0x000000000000814c is not between 0xffffffffffff8000 and 
0x0000000000007ffc)
make[1]: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel/head_64.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make: *** [arch/powerpc/kernel] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Finally, I find out that it is the commit 
"0be9d8b61c0c1f3c8f86292c6e237ff26acd392d  powerpc/ppc64: Allow 
allmodconfig to build (finally !)" case this error.