Subject: [PATCH V3] powerpc : Fail remap_4k_pfn() if PFN doesn't fit inside PTE

From: Madhusudanan Kandasamy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 20:45:13 +0530

remap_4k_pfn() silently truncates upper bits of input 4K PFN
if it cannot be contained in PTE. This leads invalid memory mapping and could
result in a system crash when the memory is accessed. This patch fails
remap_4k_pfn() and returns -EINVAL if the input 4K PFN cannot be contained in
PTE.

V3 : Added parentheses to protect 'pfn' and entire macro as suggested by Brian.
V2 : Rewritten to avoid helper function as suggested by Stephen Rothwell.

Signed-off-by: Madhusudanan Kandasamy <[email-masked]>
---
 arch/powerpc/include/asm/pte-hash64-64k.h | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/powerpc/include/asm/pte-hash64-64k.h b/arch/powerpc/include/asm/pte-hash64-64k.h
index d836d94..b6d2d42 100644
--- a/arch/powerpc/include/asm/pte-hash64-64k.h
+++ b/arch/powerpc/include/asm/pte-hash64-64k.h
@@ -75,7 +75,8 @@
 	(((pte) & _PAGE_COMBO)? MMU_PAGE_4K: MMU_PAGE_64K)

 #define remap_4k_pfn(vma, addr, pfn, prot)				\
-	remap_pfn_range((vma), (addr), (pfn), PAGE_SIZE,		\
-			__pgprot(pgprot_val((prot)) | _PAGE_4K_PFN))
+	(WARN_ON(((pfn) >= (1UL << (64 - PTE_RPN_SHIFT)))) ? -EINVAL :	\
+		remap_pfn_range((vma), (addr), (pfn), PAGE_SIZE,	\
+			__pgprot(pgprot_val((prot)) | _PAGE_4K_PFN)))

 #endif	/* __ASSEMBLY__ */
-- 
2.0.1