Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/20] powerpc: Convert power off logic to pm_power_off

From: Alexander Graf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 12:00:48 +0200

On 03.10.14 06:42, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-10-01 at 15:27 +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
>> The generic Linux framework to power off the machine is a function pointer
>> called pm_power_off. The trick about this pointer is that device drivers can
>> potentially implement it rather than board files.
>>
>> Today on PowerPC we set pm_power_off to invoke our generic full machine power
>> off logic which then calls ppc_md.power_off to invoke machine specific power
>> off.
>>
>> To fix this up, let's get rid of the ppc_md.power_off logic and just always use
>> pm_power_off as was intended. Then individual drivers such as the GPIO power off
>> driver can implement power off logic via that function pointer.
> 
> This looks OK to me with one caveat.
> 
> In several of the patches you're replacing a static initialisation with a
> runtime one, and you're doing the runtime initialisation in xxx_setup_arch().
> That's reasonably late, so I'd prefer you did it in xxx_probe().

Heh, I had it in xxx_probe() originally and then realized that

  a) the power off function is basically a driver. Driver initialization
happens in xxx_setup_arch() and

  b) the maple target already does overwrite its power_off callback in
xxx_setup_arch and

  c) on all targets xxx_probe() is very slim and doesn't do much

but I'll happily change it back to put the bits in xxx_probe() instead.

Alex