Subject: Re: Fan management PowerMac7,2

From: Michel Dänzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 11:37:41 +0900

On 19.11.2014 21:04, Martin Kukač wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was directed to this list on #ppc64/freenode IRC channel. I have
> PowerMac7,2 (AGP, 2xPowerPC 970(2.2) 2GHz) and I wanted to try kernel
> supporting kvm-pr module, which is not in 3.2.63 kernel provided with
> Debian Wheezy. I downloaded 3.14.24, compiled it using original config
> from 3.2.63 and after booting fan management does not work. I tried
> therm_pm72 (which is deprecated, but works well with Debian kernel) and
> windfarm_pm72 modules, but neither worked - after about five minutes
> from boot all fans go to maximum and stay this way no matter the CPU
> load or frequency.
>
> I downloaded vanilla 3.2.64, compiled it the same way and there fans
> work with therm_p72 well. This kernel does not have kvm-pr, so I
> reverted to original kernel provided with Wheezy.
>
> I looked to logs, i tried to search the web whether anyone had already
> the same problem, but it seems that nobody else described not to say
> solved this. Can anyone please point me to anything that would help? I
> can provide whatever log files required.

Might be the same problem as discussed in 
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2013-August/109700.html 
and the following posts: The i2c_powermac module doesn't get loaded 
automatically with recent kernels.

-- 
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast             |             Mesa and X developer