Subject: Re: Fan management PowerMac7,2

From: Martin Kukač <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 10:11:54 +0100

On 11/20/2014 03:37 AM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On 19.11.2014 21:04, Martin Kukač wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was directed to this list on #ppc64/freenode IRC channel. I have
>> PowerMac7,2 (AGP, 2xPowerPC 970(2.2) 2GHz) and I wanted to try kernel
>> supporting kvm-pr module, which is not in 3.2.63 kernel provided with
>> Debian Wheezy. I downloaded 3.14.24, compiled it using original config
>> from 3.2.63 and after booting fan management does not work. I tried
>> therm_pm72 (which is deprecated, but works well with Debian kernel) and
>> windfarm_pm72 modules, but neither worked - after about five minutes
>> from boot all fans go to maximum and stay this way no matter the CPU
>> load or frequency.
>>
>> I downloaded vanilla 3.2.64, compiled it the same way and there fans
>> work with therm_p72 well. This kernel does not have kvm-pr, so I
>> reverted to original kernel provided with Wheezy.
>>
>> I looked to logs, i tried to search the web whether anyone had already
>> the same problem, but it seems that nobody else described not to say
>> solved this. Can anyone please point me to anything that would help? I
>> can provide whatever log files required.
>
> Might be the same problem as discussed in
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2013-August/109700.html
> and the following posts: The i2c_powermac module doesn't get loaded
> automatically with recent kernels.
>
>

Thanks! That helped for therm_pm72 module, it works now as expected.

(It didn't help for windfarm_pm72 though, if I put it in /etc/modules 
with i2c_powermac and remove therm_pm72, fans still go to full speed in 
a few minutes. It's not problem for now, but if I understand it 
correctly, therm_pm72 is deprecated and will be removed one day, so it 
could be problem after that.)

Martin