Subject: Build Failure with allyesconfig for PowerPc on latest verison of Linus's tree

From: nick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 May 2015 13:16:26 -0400

Greetings Benjamin,Paul,Michael and others,
I am reporting the below error message:
drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_vc_process_vflr_event':
(.text+0x1ffaea0): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `._mcount' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_64.o
 drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_vc_process_vflr_event':
(.text+0x1ffafa0): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `.eeh_check_failure' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o
drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_vc_process_vflr_event':
(.text+0x1ffb120): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `.eeh_check_failure' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o
 drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_vc_process_vflr_event':
 (.text+0x1ffb254): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `.eeh_check_failure' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o
drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_vc_process_vflr_event':
 (.text+0x1ffb358): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `_restgpr0_23' defined in .text.save.restore section in arch/powerpc/lib/built-in.o
 drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_ndo_set_vf_mac':
 (.text+0x1ffb360): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `_savegpr0_24' defined in .text.save.restore section in arch/powerpc/lib/built-in.o
 drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_ndo_set_vf_mac':
 (.text+0x1ffb374): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `._mcount' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/entry_64.o
 drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_ndo_set_vf_mac':
 (.text+0x1ffb6e4): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `.eeh_check_failure' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o
 drivers/built-in.o: In function `.i40e_ndo_set_vf_mac':
 (.text+0x1ffb870): relocation truncated to fit: R_PPC64_REL24 (stub) against symbol `.eeh_check_failure' defined in .text section in arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o

This causes the build to break and fail on powerpc on the latest version of Linus's tree. Unfortunately my understanding of the powerpc code is rather limited and therefore felt best just to report it. Please let
me known if there is anything else I can do to help solve this outstanding build breakage.
Cheers,
Nick