Subject: Re: [RFC] powerpc, tm: Drop tm_orig_msr from thread_struct

From: Anshuman Khandual <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:12:38 +0530

On 04/24/2015 10:31 AM, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
> On 04/20/2015 01:45 PM, Anshuman Khandual wrote:
>> Currently tm_orig_msr is getting used during process context switch only.
>> Then there is ckpt_regs which saves the checkpointed userspace context
>> The MSR slot contained in ckpt_regs structure can be used during process
>> context switch instead of tm_orig_msr, thus allowing us to drop it from
>> thread_struct structure. This patch does that change.
>>
>> Signed-off-by: Anshuman Khandual <[email-masked]>
>> ---
>> This issue came up in the discussion regarding ptrace interface for TM
>> specific registers https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/4/20/100, so just wanted
>> to give this a try. The basic TM tests still pass after this change.
> 
> Hey Michael/Mikey,
> 
> Whats your thoughts on this ? Can we drop tm_orig_msr ?

Just wanted some inputs/suggestions/thoughts on this idea. Did not hear
from any one on this. Will it create any problem any where if we drop
this variable.