Subject: Re: [PATCH] cxl: Add cxl_read_adapter_vpd() to the kernel API

From: Frederic Barrat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 11:56:35 +0100

Le 22/01/2016 01:38, Michael Neuling a écrit :
> On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 19:48 +0100, Frederic Barrat wrote:
>>
>> Le 20/01/2016 03:20, Michael Neuling a écrit :
>>> The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is are we going to end up
>>> duplicating a lot of the linux PCI API, but I guess we are only going
>>> to do this for things the papr HCALL interface mimics.
>>
>> There are actually very few operations we can do on the adapter with
>> hcalls. papr defines 'reset', 'read the VPD' and flashing a new image on
>> the card. So we'll soon run out of APIs to mimic.
>>
>> I guess it means the usage of cxl_get_phys_dev() should be discouraged,
>> since it's going to lead to different behaviors between bare-metal and
>> powerVM guest. Was there another expected use case for a kernel driver
>> other than accessing the VPD?
>
> It was just for VPD.  I figured it was the easiest way to add it. Maybe
> it's worth getting rid of it in favour of VPD only.
>
> If you want to remove it I'd be happy, but you'll need to coordinate
> with the cxlflash driver.  You can probably just write the patch for
> them and then get their ACK on it.

Ok, then I would also be tempted to remove it. I'll sync with cxlflash 
to do so.
Thanks!

   Fred