Subject: Bisected Regression 4.3.5 => 4.4.1 booting HP ZBook in EFI mode

From: Phil Turmel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 16:48:52 -0500

Hello all,

I tried to get off of v4.3.x today by moving to v4.4.1.
My laptop failed to boot -- stuck with the BIOS boot logo still
showing.  I'm direct-booting a merged kernel & initramfs in
EFI mode.

I bisected to badc688 "powerpc: Make {cmp}xchg* and their atomic_ versions fully ordered"
which is upstream commit 81d7a329.

I'm stumped as to how that powerpc patch can affect my x86 laptop, an
HP ZBook 17 w/ i7 processor & nouveau graphics, but it certainly
does.  The bisect was stable and I confirmed by reverting it on
top of the intended v4.4.1.

I attempted to try Linus' upstream @ 4.5.0-rc2-00255-gdd6f86a,
and it booted, but froze after about 15 seconds, whether I logged
or not.  I don't know yet if it is related.

An lkml archive search found no references to badc688, 81d7a329, or
the patch title other than the backports to stable kernels.

Bisect log follows, and my config is attached.  Let me know if y'all
would like anything else.

Phil Turmel

git bisect start
# bad: [f1ab5eafa3625b41c74326a1994a820ff805d5b2] Linux 4.4.1
git bisect bad f1ab5eafa3625b41c74326a1994a820ff805d5b2
# good: [849a2d3d9be31368559e6852cf64d749e6903818] Linux 4.3.5
git bisect good 849a2d3d9be31368559e6852cf64d749e6903818
# good: [6a13feb9c82803e2b815eca72fa7a9f5561d7861] Linux 4.3
git bisect good 6a13feb9c82803e2b815eca72fa7a9f5561d7861
# good: [f66477a0aeb77f97a7de5f791700dadc42f3f792] Merge tag
'clk-for-linus-20151104' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/clk/linux
git bisect good f66477a0aeb77f97a7de5f791700dadc42f3f792
# good: [56e0464980febfa50432a070261579415c72664e] Merge tag
'armsoc-soc' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc
git bisect good 56e0464980febfa50432a070261579415c72664e
# good: [cd6caf550a2adc763c6301ecc0be01f422fb2aea] Merge tag
'for-linus-4.4' of git://git.code.sf.net/p/openipmi/linux-ipmi
git bisect good cd6caf550a2adc763c6301ecc0be01f422fb2aea
# good: [5406812e59761f6ba33ea0bf97e426666bdb0e28] Merge branch
'for-4.4-fixes' of git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tj/cgroup
git bisect good 5406812e59761f6ba33ea0bf97e426666bdb0e28
# good: [76b8ebdc4c7a8299e6365428a36cc0fb1c2a4103] Merge tag
'media/v4.4-3' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mchehab/linux-media
git bisect good 76b8ebdc4c7a8299e6365428a36cc0fb1c2a4103
# good: [c6169202e40868fd00de7ce35ee16c81b1f9e123] Merge branch
'for-linus' of git://git.kernel.dk/linux-block
git bisect good c6169202e40868fd00de7ce35ee16c81b1f9e123
# good: [ea83ae2fb30cd134d0220221bcf81efb579f8d73] Merge branch
'irq-urgent-for-linus' of
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip
git bisect good ea83ae2fb30cd134d0220221bcf81efb579f8d73
# good: [4aa59e944fbed2078a0c48872d7977a938c4753d] ALSA: usb-audio:
Avoid calling usb_autopm_put_interface() at disconnect
git bisect good 4aa59e944fbed2078a0c48872d7977a938c4753d
# good: [8ece807074d09df2dc2a2ba12783cc5a36cb6cf2] sched,cls_flower: set
key address type when present
git bisect good 8ece807074d09df2dc2a2ba12783cc5a36cb6cf2
# good: [53ab5ef03bf07b96b6c595efc941c8d06e76858c] batman-adv: Drop
immediate batadv_orig_ifinfo free function
git bisect good 53ab5ef03bf07b96b6c595efc941c8d06e76858c
# bad: [badc688439f09f440e8d3dcd5d23457e54dfa8eb] powerpc: Make
{cmp}xchg* and their atomic_ versions fully ordered
git bisect bad badc688439f09f440e8d3dcd5d23457e54dfa8eb
# good: [11ed67672827aa98eaa0fe78510bb33eb3251407] batman-adv: Drop
immediate batadv_hard_iface free function
git bisect good 11ed67672827aa98eaa0fe78510bb33eb3251407
# good: [e924c60db1b4891e45d15a33474ac5fab62cf029] powerpc/tm: Check for
already reclaimed tasks
git bisect good e924c60db1b4891e45d15a33474ac5fab62cf029
# good: [2ed6c101147879faa253fdf045d87651a6cb8f18] powerpc: Make
value-returning atomics fully ordered
git bisect good 2ed6c101147879faa253fdf045d87651a6cb8f18
# first bad commit: [badc688439f09f440e8d3dcd5d23457e54dfa8eb] powerpc:
Make {cmp}xchg* and their atomic_ versions fully ordered