Subject: Re: [PATCH v8 8/8] livepatch: Detect offset for the ftrace location during build

From: Balbir Singh <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 22:22:06 +1100

On 24/02/16 20:23, Torsten Duwe wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 05:55:35PM +1100, Balbir Singh wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> We need to remove the SQUASH_TOC_SAVE_INSNS bits as well, now that the ppc64_profile_stub_insns does not save r2
> Sure -- this was meant to _replace_ the changes from patch 2/8, not on top.
> And yes, it exposes duplicate definitions, but does not cause them AFAICS.
> The two unasked questions about it were: Is Michael's solution on a similar
> basis? Is this worth any further effort e.g. put into v9?
>
>
My bad you did mention _replace_, but I think 2/8 and 6/8 of tightly bound
together, so the replacement is not straight forward. Yes, it is heading in
a similar direction, but it focuses mostly on ftrace. I think v9 makes sense,
but I'll let Michael comment on this as well]

Personally, I think your v8 or v9 + Michael's changes - RECORD_C_MCOUNT +
some changes (yet to code them based on v8/v9/ftrace stability) should get
the full live patching working.

Balbir Singh.