Subject: Re: [3/3] powerpc/pseries: Cleanup property cloning in memory dlpar

From: Nathan Fontenot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:45:41 -0600

On 03/01/2016 07:47 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-03-02 at 10:02 +1100, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>> On Wed, 2016-10-02 at 17:13:29 UTC, Nathan Fontenot wrote:
>>> Now that the DLPAR add/remove flow updates the ibm,dynamic-memory device
>>> tree property each time we add or remove a LMB the work needed to clone
>>> this property can be reduced.
>>>
>>> Prior to performing any memory DLPAR operation we now clone the device
>>> tree property once and convert it to cpu format. This copy is then used
>>> to walk through LMBs as we process them and is thrown away when we
>>> are finished. There is no longer a need to convert the entire property to
>>> cpu format and then back to BE every time we update it, we can just parse
>>> it in its native BE format and update the one LMB we need to modify
>>> before updating the property.
>>>
>>> This patch removes the BE => cpu conversion step in the clone routine and
>>> creates a drconf_property_to_cpu() routine to make this conversion for the
>>> one time we need to convert the entire property. This then allows us
>>> to remove dlpar_update_drconf_property() since we can now do everything
>>> in dlpar_update_device_tree_lmb().
>>
>> Hi Nathan,
>>
>> This sounds like a good cleanup on the face of it.
>>
>> But even with it applied I still see a boat load of endian errors from sparse
>> in this file. That worries me, can you please try and fix them.
> 
> I can merge patches 1 and 2 if you like, and leave this one for you to fixup?
> Or I can just wait for a v2 of the whole series. Let me know which you'd
> prefer.
> 

If you don't mind merging patches 1 and 2 I will send out a new cleanup patch
to fix the issues with patch 3 of the series.

Thanks,
-Nathan