Subject: Re: mailman From rewriting [was perf jit: genelf makes assumptions about endian]

From: Jeremy Kerr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:30:12 +0800

Hi Stephen,

>> Do you know why mailman would be re-writing From: there? It's confusing
>> patchwork, as multiple mails are now coming from that address.
> 
> Yep, Anton posts from samba.org.  They publish a DMARC policy that
> breaks mailing lists.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━━┻

This also breaks git-am:

  [jk@pudge linux]$ git am incoming.eml
  Applying: perf jit: genelf makes assumptions about endian
  [jk@pudge linux]$ git log --format='format:%an <%ae>' -1
  Anton Blanchard via Linuxppc-dev <[email-masked]>

> The best thing we can do is to do the above rewrite of the From header.

OK, it looks like we're stuck either way with DMARC. Could we make this
a little more tolerable by stashing the original From: value in a new
header? I know it's already in Reply-To, but that could also be set by
arbitrary other (non-mailman-DMARC-rewrite) sources.

Alternatively, if there's some other way to tell that this a mail has
been rewritten, we can know to use Reply-To in preference to From.

Otherwise, I guess we could require that *all patch submitters* put
their From: line in the content of their mails, as git send-email does
when user != author. But that's a little less-than-optimal.

Cheers,

Jeremy