Subject: Re: DTC 1.0.0 Release Coming?

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:33:17 +0200

>>> Ok, figured out why.  When I push, then pop a quilt patch some of the
>>> files end up with their original contents, but changed timestamps.
>>> That altered stat information causes git-diff-index to give false
>>> indications of changed files, so setlocalversion adds the -dirty.
>>> Running git status, or gitool or various other things causes git to
>>> notice that the files aren't really changed, updates the index and
>>> then the version is generated correctly again.
>>>
>>> Not very robust though.
>>
>> Well you can't blame that on DTC's build system, nor on the
>> setlocalversion script, and not on Git either; it's a Quilt
>> problem...
>
> No, it's really not - touching the files on a pop is correct behaviour
> for quilt (that way it will correctly trigger a rebuild on make
> systems that aren't as flashy as Kbuild).

Yeah okay -- "it's a problem with how all these tools are used
together" :-)

> setlocalversion should be ensuring that the verison information is
> based on content, not stat info, which means it needs to do a git
> status or something that will remove the false positives before using
> git-diff-index to determine whether the tree is clean or not.

Yeah, that seems best.  Please fix this for the kernel version of
setlocalversion as well :-)

Segher