Subject: Re: [PATCH] PowerPC: MPIC ack interrupts at mpic_teardown_this_cpu()

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 20:55:01 +0200

>> platforms/maple/setup.c and platforms/powermac/pic.c use
>> MPIC_WANTS_RESET.
>> Is there a reason why we don't do that on every MPIC?  If there is 
>> such
>> a reason, the default should be to reset, only pseries and chrp and 
>> cell
>> and now pasemi do not use it.  It's the only sane way to get an MPIC
>> into
>> a sane known state starting from <whatever> state.
>
> I used to have the reset there on pasemi but due to some other issues I
> ended up taking it out.
>
> It's not like doing a final EOI is a big deal, I really don't see why
> there's hassle about this patch.

The patch is fine, don't get me wrong.  I'm just saying MPIC_WANTS_RESET
should be the default since pretty much everything wants it.  The few
platforms that don't can document why; with the current code, we cannot
see if you just forgot it or not.

Segher