Subject: udbg_16550.c and legacy_serial.c

From: Milton Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 06:29:26 -0500

On Jun 27, 2007, at 6:22 AM, Milton Miller wrote:
> (4) Adding a 5th udbg_putc method that calls a byte read to 
> udbg_comport->lsr masked with THRE until 0 and performs a byte write 
> to ->thr shows we have the wrong abstraction.   Please make the 
> inb/outb a method with the comport.  It would seem the actual init_xx 
> could be in the platforms, passing inb, outb, and comport to a helper 
> in udbg_16550.c.   I'm fine with declaring all the early inits in 
> udbg.h
>

I'll repost that with a different subject in case someone else wants to 
work on that.

Also, while researching this, I found that check_legacy_serial_console 
has a check for legacy_serial_console < 0 in it.  Since that is set to 
the legacy_ports array we pass to the serial layer, it would seem all 
the other parsing to find the console is redundant; we can get the np 
that we already found.   However, it also means that the code to notice 
the stdout path is ch-a or ch-b will never be executed because of that 
check.

The comment about stdout being a wierd phandle should read 
"/chosen/stdout is a ihandle.  use linux,stdout-path instead".

no patch at this hour.

milton