Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/6] PowerPC 440EPx: Sequoia DTS

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 23:03:41 +0200

>> "bit-swizzling" or something which can be defined to describe some odd
>> connections.  If absent we'd default to direct mapping.  Segher, is
>> that idea going to cause you to scream?
>
>     Actually, checking for the presence of all possible perverted 
> mapping
> props doesn't seem a good idea -- it's simpler to check for the 
> presence of
> one prop (like "direct-mapped" I was thinking about, or maybe 
> "simple-map").

There shouldn't be many "perverted" properties -- really weird
mappings can just do a special "compatible" value, the standard
kernel driver can't handle them either, anyway.

A few extra property lookups are dirt cheap.  This isn't
speed-critical code anyway.

>> Well, now you do.  I believe USB usually uses that format, too.
>
>     USB what, hosts or devices?

The unit-address of a device is specified in its parent's
address space.  USB hosts don't typically have a USB bus as
parent ;-)  (but they can still have a comma in the unit
address.  Confused?  Don't be :-) ).

>     Hm, right... the option here would be to always have at least one
> partition and no "reg" property in the MTD node itself... or have 
> "reg" with
> no partition and "ranges" if partitions are there... :-)

No way.  "reg" is needed *no matter what* -- I'll not list the
other problems with that proposal.

Segher