Subject: Re: 43p-140 install issues

From: Mike Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 09:07:31 -0500

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 15:01:02 +0100, Sven Luther <[email-masked]> wrote:

[snip]
> What exact machine do you have again ?

An IBM 7043. It's a 43p-140 labeled as a 604e 332 Mhz.

[snip]

> 
> set <minor> <flag> <on|off>
> 
> minor is the partition, starting at 1, flag is the flag, (prep in this case)
> and on|off is obvious.
> 
> It simply sets the prep flag, which is then translated as a 0x41 partition
> type. I think this is a deficiency in the parted/libparted API, but well,
> there is not much we can do about that unless a major libparted change.

Cool. That's good to know.

[snip]

> Yep, d-i uses devfs, still partitions start at 1.

Ok. Oops

> > I see how much more time I can buy with this machine. It may need to
> > go back into storage this week if I can't make it run. Not fun.
> 
> What about donating it to debian or something such ?

I'd love to however it's not mine to donate. It's the companies (They
have 2 actually, I might try the other one since it has slightly
different hardware).

The problem is: at work, I can't netboot. There is no server that will
respond and I can't set one up. I had the machine at home for the
holidays and thus can boot it from my LAN. If I can't get it to
self-boot before I have to take it back to the office - then I'm
stuck.

If I can get it to boot the system (even from floppy or cd) I will
have it to help test stuff. Otherwise it goes back under the desk
where it came from.

MikeMartin