Subject: Re: [PATCH 03/13] powerpc/rtas: avoid device tree lookups in rtas_os_term()

From: Nathan Lynch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 12:08:55 -0600

Andrew Donnellan <[email-masked]> writes:
>> diff --git a/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c b/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c
>> index c12dd5ed5e00..81e4996012b7 100644
>> --- a/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c
>> +++ b/arch/powerpc/kernel/rtas.c
>> @@ -947,6 +947,8 @@ void __noreturn rtas_halt(void)
>>  
>>  /* Must be in the RMO region, so we place it here */
>>  static char rtas_os_term_buf[2048];
>> +static s32 ibm_os_term_token = RTAS_UNKNOWN_SERVICE;
>
> s32 and int are obviously identical, but rtas_token is declared using
> int, as are the other variables where we cache various tokens.

Right... I think it's better practice to use an explicitly sized type
where the data is directly derived from the device tree and ultimately
passed to the firmware call interface. Gradually enacting this while
tolerating some cosmetic inconsistency in the code seems OK to me, but
I'm open to other opinions.