Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/13] sysctl: add new register_sysctl_subdir() helper

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 07:42:31 -0500

[email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman) writes:

> Luis Chamberlain <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Often enough all we need to do is create a subdirectory so that
>> we can stuff sysctls underneath it. However, *if* that directory
>> was already created early on the boot sequence we really have no
>> need to use the full boiler plate code for it, we can just use
>> local variables to help us guide sysctl to place the new leaf files.
>>
>> So use a helper to do precisely this.
>
> Reset restart.  This is patch is total nonsense.
>
> - You are using register_sysctl_table which as I believe I have
>   mentioned is a deprecated compatibility wrapper.  The point of
>   spring house cleaning is to get off of the deprecated functions
>   isn't it?
>
> - You are using the old nasty form for creating directories instead
>   of just passing in a path.
>
> - None of this is even remotely necessary.  The directories
>   are created automatically if you just register their entries.

Oh.  *blink*  The poor naming threw me off.

This is a clumsy and poorly named version of register_sysctl();

Yes. This change is totally unnecessary.

Eric