Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: Fix bad pmd error with book3E config

From: "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 18:32:22 +0530

"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <[email-masked]> writes:

> From: "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <[email-masked]>
>
> Book3E uses the hugepd at PMD level and don't encode pte directly
> at the pmd level. So it will find the lower bits of pmd set
> and the pmd_bad check throws error. Infact the current code
> will never take the free_hugepd_range call at all because it will
> clear the pmd if it find a hugepd pointer.
>
> Reported-by: Scott Wood <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Aneesh Kumar K.V <[email-masked]>

Ben,

This is regression introduced by
e2b3d202d1dba8f3546ed28224ce485bc50010be 
"powerpc: Switch 16GB and 16MB explicit hugepages to a different page table format"

and should go upstream in 3.10

$git describe  --contains e2b3d202d1dba8f3546ed28224ce485bc50010be
v3.10-rc1~121^2~15

Without this path, we leak hugepd with all subarchs using old huge page
directory format.

-aneesh