Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] ata: pata_macio: Use WARN instead of BUG

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 16:11:54 +1000

Sergei Shtylyov <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 8/20/24 6:04 AM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
>
>> The overflow/underflow conditions in pata_macio_qc_prep() should never
>> happen. But if they do there's no need to kill the system entirely, a
>> WARN and failing the IO request should be sufficient and might allow the
>> system to keep running.
>
>    WARN*() can kill your system with panic_on_warn -- Android is particularly
> fond of this kernel parameter but I guess it's not your case... :-)
>    Greg KH usually advices against using these macros. :-)

Yeah, but in this case it's replacing BUG with WARN, so I figure it's
clearly an improvement.

Also if someone is running with panic_on_warn then they *want* their
system to panic if anything strange happens, which is the case here.

>> Signed-off-by: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
> [...]
>
>    Please do CC me on the PATA driver patches! This one circumvented my review
> (again)... :-/

Oops sorry, I think I just grabbed the Cc's from the report. I'll use
get_maintainer.pl in future.

cheers