Subject: Re: PIE binaries are no longer mapped below 4 GiB on ppc64le

From: Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 19:04:14 -0300

Florian Weimer <[email-masked]> writes:

> * Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho:
>
>> I wonder if this is restricted to linker that Golang uses.
>> Were you able to reproduce the same problem with Binutils' linker?
>
> The example is carefully constructed to use the external linker.  It
> invokes gcc, which then invokes the BFD linker in my case.

Indeed. That question was unnecessary.  :-D

> Based on the relocations, I assume there is only so much the linker can
> do here.  I'm amazed that it produces an executable at all, let alone
> one that runs correctly on some kernel versions!

Agreed.  That isn't expected to work.  Both the compiler and the linker have
to generate PIE for it to work.

> I assume that the Go toolchain simply lacks PIE support on ppc64le.

Maybe the support is there, but it doesn't generate PIC by default?

-- 
Tulio Magno