Subject: Re: [PATCH -next] powerpc/mm: check base flags in ioremap_prot

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 21:20:25 +1000

Nanyong Sun <[email-masked]> writes:
> On 2021/9/3 17:16, Christophe Leroy wrote:
>> Le 03/09/2021 à 11:03, Nanyong Sun a écrit :
>>> Some drivers who call ioremap_prot without setting base flags like
>>> ioremap_prot(addr, len, 0) may work well before
>>> commit 56f3c1413f5c ("powerpc/mm: properly set PAGE_KERNEL flags in
>>> ioremap()"), but now they will get a virtual address "successfully"
>>> from ioremap_prot and badly fault on memory access later because that
>>> patch also dropped the hack adding of base flags for ioremap_prot.
>>>
>>> So return NULL and throw a warning if the caller of ioremap_prot did
>>> not set base flags properly. Why not just hack adding PAGE_KERNEL flags
>>> in the ioremap_prot, because most scenarios can be covered by high level
>>> functions like ioremap(), ioremap_coherent(), ioremap_cache()...
>>> so it is better to keep max flexibility for this low level api.
>>
>> As far as I can see, there is no user of this fonction that sets flags 
>> to 0 in the kernel tree.
>>
>> Did you find any ? If you did, I think it is better to fix the caller.
>>
>> Christophe
>>
> I see some vendor's drivers which are not on upstream ...

Sorry, but we don't carry extraneous checks in upstream for the sake of
out-of-tree drivers.

cheers