Subject: Re: [PATCH 01/13] sysctl: add new register_sysctl_subdir() helper

From: [email-masked] (Eric W. Biederman)
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 07:40:27 -0500

Luis Chamberlain <[email-masked]> writes:

> Often enough all we need to do is create a subdirectory so that
> we can stuff sysctls underneath it. However, *if* that directory
> was already created early on the boot sequence we really have no
> need to use the full boiler plate code for it, we can just use
> local variables to help us guide sysctl to place the new leaf files.
>
> So use a helper to do precisely this.

Reset restart.  This is patch is total nonsense.

- You are using register_sysctl_table which as I believe I have
  mentioned is a deprecated compatibility wrapper.  The point of
  spring house cleaning is to get off of the deprecated functions
  isn't it?

- You are using the old nasty form for creating directories instead
  of just passing in a path.

- None of this is even remotely necessary.  The directories
  are created automatically if you just register their entries.

Eric