Subject: Re: U-Boot image

From: Peter Korsgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:52:15 +0100

>>>>> "Günter" == Günter Leonhardt <[email-masked]> writes:

 Günter> Hello,

 Günter> I'am looking for an image to boot a embedded device with a
 Günter> single image.

 Günter> I though the generated uImage in arch/powerpc/boot should
 Günter> work, but u-boot cannot but this, because the addresses of
 Günter> initrd and dtb not found.

 Günter> Now I'am creating the image by hand with mkimage:
 Günter> mkimage -A ppc -n F302 -O linux \
 Günter> 		-T multi -C gzip -a 0x0 -e 0x0 \
 Günter>             -d vmlinux.bin.gz:initramfs_data.cpio.gz:f302.dtb \
 Günter>             uImage

I posted a patch to add support for multi image uImages to the kernel
makefiles, E.G. uImage.<platform> some time ago. It got nack'ed by
wdenx though as he wants people to use the new fitimage stuff in
u-boot instead. Anyway, it might be useful to you:

http://peter.korsgaard.com/patches/linux/bootwrapper-uboot-multi-2.patch

To use it, add:

image-$(CONFIG_<your-platform>) + uImage.<your-platform>

to arch/powerpc/boot/Makefile.

 Günter> This file is bootable, but I don't understand how a standard
 Günter> file has to be booted.

With an external dtb / initrd.

 Günter> Can someone explain me the different fileforamts for booting
 Günter> a powerpc with u-boot?  Which is the simplest to use?

Have a look at Documentation/powerpc/bootwrapper.txt

-- 
Bye, Peter Korsgaard