Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] powerpc/xmon: use KSYM_NAME_LEN in array size

From: Michael Ellerman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2023 12:02:16 +1000

Miguel Ojeda <[email-masked]> writes:
> On Mon, May 29, 2023 at 1:14 PM Maninder Singh <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> +static char tmpstr[KSYM_NAME_LEN];
>
> Reviewed-by: Miguel Ojeda <[email-masked]>
>
> Side-note: in `get_function_bounds()`, I see `kallsyms_lookup()` being
> used, but the name seems discarded? Can
> `kallsyms_lookup_size_offset()` be used instead, thus avoiding the
> usage of the buffer there to begin with?

A few lines below it uses the modname, and AFAICS there's no (easy) way
to lookup the modname without also looking up the name.

> Side-note 2: in `scanhex()`, I see a loop `i<63` using `tmpstr` which
> then is used to do a `kallsyms_lookup_name()`, so I guess symbols
> larger than 64 couldn't be found. I have no idea about what are the
> external constraints here, but perhaps it is possible to increase the
> `line` buffer etc. to then allow for bigger symbols to be found.

Yeah that looks wrong. I don't see any symbols that long in current
kernels, but we should fix it.

Thanks for looking.

cheers