Subject: Re: [PATCH 10/10] [RFC] wifi: remove ipw2100/ipw2200 drivers

From: Kalle Valo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 12:49:16 +0300

Philipp Hortmann <[email-masked]> writes:

> On 10/26/23 00:27, Witold Baryluk wrote:
>> I might be interested in modernizing the driver, but I have no idea
>> how much effort it would be (in terms of changed fraction of code).
>> 20k LOC is neither small or big, and not obvious (a lot of it would
>> be unchanged), if it is a week of work, or months of work.
>
> Hi Witold,
>
> I am trying to do this with rtl8192e.
> One possibility is to take the following patch series as a starting point:
> https://yhbt.net/lore/all/[email-masked]/
>
> For me as a beginner and hobbyist this is a huge task. I am happy when
> I can finish it until next summer.

We also have some docs available:

https://docs.kernel.org/driver-api/80211/

And I also recommend looking at our hwsim driver as that gives a good
idea how a simple mac80211 driver works:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/wireless/wireless-next.git/tree/drivers/net/wireless/virtual/mac80211_hwsim.c

And you can even tinker the driver and run tests without needing any
real hardware:

https://docs.kernel.org/networking/mac80211_hwsim/mac80211_hwsim.html

And if there are any questions about mac80211 or anything wireless
related please send them to linux-wireless. Usually someone will answer
as long the question is well formulated.

-- 
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-wireless/list/

https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/documentation/submittingpatches