Subject: Re: [PATCH] Xilinx UART Lite 2.6.18 driver

From: Peter Korsgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:23:05 +0100

>>>>> "David" == David H Lynch <[email-masked]> writes:

David>     There is a substantial time/code difference between the
David> time ulite_console_setup() is called and the time the platform
David> device is initiallized.

Huh?

(gdb) br ulite_probe
Breakpoint 2 at 0xc00f7530: file drivers/serial/uartlite.c, line 397.
(gdb) br ulite_console_setup
Breakpoint 3 at 0xc00f7454: file drivers/serial/uartlite.c, line 342.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 2, ulite_probe (pdev=0xc00ddb50) at drivers/serial/uartlite.c:397
397                     return -EINVAL;
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Breakpoint 3, ulite_console_setup (co=0xc00e2f14, options=0xc00fe00f "115200")
    at drivers/serial/uartlite.c:342
342             if (co->index < 0 || co->index >= ULITE_NR_UARTS)

_probe get's called before console_setup, so we have all the
information to output console data right away.

David>     But for now, if you are not going to bother making
David> console_settup() work you might as well not put the rest of the
David> early serial code in at all.

Not going to make it work? What doesn't work?

-- 
Bye, Peter Korsgaard