Subject: Re: [PATCH next v1 2/3] printk: remove safe buffers

From: John Ogness <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 17:10:02 +0200

On 2021-03-29, Petr Mladek <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I wonder if some console drivers rely on the fact that the write()
> callback is called with interrupts disabled.
>
> IMHO, it would be a bug when any write() callback expects that
> callers disabled the interrupts.

Agreed.

> Do you plan to remove the console-spinning stuff after offloading
> consoles to the kthreads?

Yes. Although a similar concept will be introduced to allow the threaded
printers and the atomic consoles to compete.

> Will you call console write() callback with irq enabled from the
> kthread?

No. That defeats the fundamental purpose of this entire rework
excercise. ;-)

> Anyway, we should at least add a comment why the interrupts are
> disabled.

I decided to move the local_irq_save/restore inside the console-spinning
functions and added a comment for v2.

John Ogness