Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 17/32] cxlflash: Remove dual port online dependency

From: Daniel Axtens <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 09:50:00 +1000

(resending to the list this time, apologies!)

>> I'm not sure I fully understand the flow of this function, but it looks
>> like you set rc=0 regardless of how things actually go: is this ever
>> going to print a return value other than zero?
>
> Correct, this function behaves more like a void for the time being. The
> overall goal of this is to allow a card to configure even when the link is
> down. At some later point when the link is transitioned to 'up', a link state
> change interrupt will trigger the port configuration. I left this with a return
> code for right now in case we need to alter the behavior again (based
> upon testing) and actually return a value other than 0.

OK. That makes more sense - it wasn't clear to me how it could be
correct to proceed if the links were down but now I understand how that
works. I think that explanation should go in the commit message.

>>> 	if (!wait_port_online(fc_regs, FC_PORT_STATUS_RETRY_INTERVAL_US,
>>> 			      FC_PORT_STATUS_RETRY_CNT)) {
>>> 		pr_debug("%s: wait on port %d to go online timed out\n",
>>> 			 __func__, port);

As an aside, should this be a bit noisier? It seems like something
a user would probably want to know - especially in the case where
something has actually gone wrong so there's no link state change
interrupt forthcoming regardless of how long you wait.

Regards,
Daniel