Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: mv643xx_eth: Add missing phy_addr_set in DT mode

From: [email-masked] (Arnaud Ebalard)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2013 23:12:00 +0100

Hi Jason,

Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]> writes:

> Commit cc9d4598 'net: mv643xx_eth: use of_phy_connect if phy_node
> present' made the call to phy_scan optional, if the DT has a link to
> the phy node.
>
> However phy_scan has the side effect of calling phy_addr_set, which
> writes the phy MDIO address to the ethernet controller. If phy_addr_set
> is not called, and the bootloader has not set the correct address then
> the driver will fail to function.

Thanks *a lot* for fixing this one! I had the issue on my ReadyNAS 102
(Armada 370 based) which I had put on a todo list and temporarily
workarounded by including a 'ping whatever' call in my u-boot env in
order to force it to do the init. Without it, I was unable to properly
use the interface. With your fix, after multiple reboots to test it,
everything works as expected. So, FWIW: 

Tested-by: Arnaud Ebalard <[email-masked]>

Cheers,

a+