Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] powerpc: Add support for ram filesystems in FIT uImages

From: Peter Korsgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 15:27:00 +0100

>>>>> "Wolfgang" == Wolfgang Denk <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

 >> No, that would break stuff for the existing users. The existing format
 >> make/file names shouldn't change.

 Wolfgang> Well, with this argument you can block all progress and freeze all
 Wolfgang> development to some ancient state.

We only break backwards compatibility when we have to. There's no
technical reason for renaming the existing make targets.

 >> The FIT images could be called fitimage or uImage.new or something.

 Wolfgang> I disagree. We want to make this the new default, so let's
 Wolfgang> use the default name for this, and continue to support he
 Wolfgang> legacy image format using another name.

 Wolfgang> Also, your approach does not scale. Assume we come up with an
 Wolfgang> even more advanced image format in the future - how should we
 Wolfgang> name it then?  "uImage.newer" ? "uImage.verynew" ?
 Wolfgang> "uImage.new2" ?

Hence fitimage. The next thing will presumably be called something else
again.

-- 
Bye, Peter Korsgaard