Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] powerpc: Add support for ram filesystems in FIT uImages

From: Peter Korsgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 09:01:22 +0100

>>>>> "Grant" == Grant Likely <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

 Grant> Personally, I don't get any benefit out of the new image format,
 Grant> so I haven't spent any time looking at it.  However, I'm
 Grant> concerned about the drift back towards a different image per
 Grant> target when the move over the last 4 years has been towards
 Grant> multiplatform kernel images.  I certainly don't want to
 Grant> encourage embedding the device tree blob into the kernel image,
 Grant> and I'm not very interested in merging code to do that into the
 Grant> kernel tree.  If someone really needs to do that for their
 Grant> particular target, it is certainly easy enough for them to weld
 Grant> in the .dtb after the fact before transferring the image to the
 Grant> target, but I want that mode to be the exception, not the rule.

I understand the advantages of being able to compile multiplatform
kernels - But for the typical embedded device, having the device tree
together with the kernel makes stuff a lot simpler when upgrading
because of the version depencies of the dts.

That's also why I submitted the (nacked) multifile uimage support some
time ago:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ppc64.devel/46825/

The fitimage stuff is the logical continuation of that.

-- 
Bye, Peter Korsgaard