Subject: Re: "Cache Profiler" ? (was: No cache control on ppc??)

From: Elizabeth Barham <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jan 2002 03:17:32 -0600

> First boot once with BootX. Once in linux, grab the value of
> /proc/sys/kernel/l2cr. Then, go back to quik, and in your boot
> scripts, write back this value. This is the configuration of the
> backside L2 cache of the 750.

Just a follow-up:

It turns out that Linux was using the 750 processor with it's
configuration (1,0,0,1 [NewerTech G3L2]) but it was not using the
cache at all. In order to grab the parameters of the above-mentioned
file in the /proc/sys/kernel directory I had to install Mac
OS. Fortunatly we had an extra drive available to install it upon.

The configuration that I had been using, though, disabled the cache so
I had to find a better setting that was quicker and stable (0,0,1,0
[240 MHz, 478.41 bogomips]). However, the gotcha! with this is that
quik (v2.0) throws a fatal error prior to the start-screen ("Choose
your kernel").

So, I ended up just keeping MacOS on half of the newly-installed drive
and will use BootX to boot into Linux now and in the future; it's not
*that* inconvenient and the increase in speed is easily worth it.

Thank you all for your help.

Kind regards, Elizabeth

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/