Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/18] genirq: Remove setup_irq()

From: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:31:15 +0100

Afzal,

afzal mohammed <[email-masked]> writes:

> While trying to understand internals of irq handling, came across a
> thread [1] in which tglx was referring to avoid usage of setup_irq().
> Existing callers of setup_irq() reached mostly via 'init_IRQ()' &
> 'time_init()', while memory allocators are ready by 'mm_init()'.
>
> Hence instances of setup_irq() is replaced by request_irq() &
> setup_irq() (along with remove_irq()) definition deleted in the last
> patch.
>
> Seldom remove_irq() usage has been observed coupled with setup_irq(),
> wherever that has been found, it too has been replaced by free_irq().

thanks a lot for tackling this!

Vs. merging this series, I suggest the following approach:

   - Resubmit the individual changes as single patches or small series
     to the relevant maintainers and subsystem mailing lists. They have
     no dependency on a core change and can be applied where they belong
     to.

   - After 5.6-rc6, verify which parts have made their way into
     linux-next and resubmit the ignored ones as a series to me along
     with the removal of the core parts.

That way we can avoid conflicting changes between subsystems and the tip
irq/core branch as much as possible.

Thanks,

        tglx