Subject: Re: RFC: kprobes support for ppc32

From: Kumar Gala <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:45:29 -0600

On Jan 30, 2007, at 4:46 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 12:13:32AM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
>> +	depends on !BOOKE && KALLSYMS && EXPERIMENTAL && MODULES
>
> Just curious: what's the problem with BOOKE?

Book-e's debug handling/architecture is significantly different than  
most other PPCs.  I'll look at adding support for it in the future.

>> +#ifdef CONFIG_PPC64
>>   	regs->nip = (unsigned long)(((func_descr_t *)jp->entry)->entry);
>>   	regs->gpr[2] = (unsigned long)(((func_descr_t *)jp->entry)->toc);
>> +#else
>> +	regs->nip = (unsigned long)jp->entry;
>> +#endif
>
> This should probably be split int a macro.

Seems like a bit of a waste, for 6 lines of code.  I'm not exactly  
sure what you're envisioning here.

> also I think you should not define kprobe_lookup_name for the 32bit
> case as the generic version should be fine for ppc32

Ok, I'll look into that.

- k