Subject: Re: [PATCH] powerpc: Pegasos keyboard detection

From: Segher Boessenkool <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:30:35 +0200

>> That's hardly the only reason.  But yeah, that's one way to
>> implement the workaround, but _we_ (the Linux community) cannot
>> do it like that (easily) for all users.
>
> But you're the guy who told us our firmware sucks and we should fix our
> firmware

Yes, and?  You _should_ fix your firmware, it is buggy after all.
Esp. back then as it wasn't shipping yet.

> rather than clutter Linux with too many fixups.

Also, putting fixups in the wrapper is a wholly different thing from
putting fixups deep inside the kernel code proper.

> Linux is already a bad enough moving target, and none of these fixes 
> help
> other operating systems or developers, if we only patch Linux,

But that's not Linux' concern.  You might care, we don't.  Is
this so hard to understand?

> 1) the reports as we had when Efika was released and continually levied
> against Pegasos firmware, that the firmware is broken and must be fixed
> to comply, and no fixes will be considered because "bplan sucks and 
> must
> fix it"
>
> 2) As long as the patches are 2 lines big, you will allow them in, 
> because
> it is too much for a user to update firmware or run a script to boot?

Our only two concerns are what is best on technical grounds, and what
is best for our users.

> Would you guys rather we shipped a boot script that ran the OS, fixed
> all these issues in-place in-firmware, so Linux did not have to have 
> these
> workarounds,

Sure, if you can do that, that would be great.

Segher