Subject: Building custom 2.6 kernel

From: "Konstantin Boyanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 11:54:21 +0200

Hi there,

These days I'm trying to compile and get working a 2.6 kernel for the
Motorola MVME6100 VME single board computer. For the purpose I'm using an
ELinOS IDE by the SysGo company (don't ask me why, it's the boss' decision).
Since ELinOS lacks support I post here with the hope of getting some help.
Thus far I have succeeded in only compiling a bare kernel but not getting it
up. There is a running RedHat distro on the board but I want to get a
customized cernel for it, because RedHat does not support certain stuff
(like VME drivers for example).
So, the kernel I compiled seems to be quite messy, as you can see from the
dmesg at startup:

The existing kernel >>
http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~boyanov/dmesg_normal.txt<http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/%7Eboyanov/dmesg_normal.txt>
The new one          >>
http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~boyanov/dmesg_failed.txt<http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/%7Eboyanov/dmesg_failed.txt>

As you can see in the links above the kernel panics because of insufficient
"init" part of the command line passed to it. Another issue is the SCSI
hard-disk initialization and RAM disk creation. I forgot to mention, because
this is only a test kernel I just want basic functionality included, as I
tried to do so in the kernel configuration.
But nevertheless i failed to do so.
I'm actually only asking for some advice and tips (especially where to find
information on the web, if there is any) on the problems occuring, or if
someone has encountered such problems in the past and is willing to share
his/her experience.
I'm quite newbie to this stuff, and as such I'm really confused about what's
going on...
So any help and advice is appreciated.

Best regards,
Konstantin