Subject: Re: VME driver problem on MVME6100

From: "Konstantin Boyanov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 21:00:40 +0200

Hi again,

The problem persist even with the new driver for 2.6 ... :(
It is obvious that the driver cannot allocate memory for the window... It
fails that thing called __ioremap(), whatever it might be used for:

[mvme6100]# vme_setoutboundwin -h
vme_setoutboundwin
Usage: vme_setoutboundwin <options>
        -w <window>     window(where 0<=window<=6)
        -m <mode>       address mode (where 0=A16,1=A24,2=A32,3=A64,4=CRCSR)
        -p <protocol>   protocol (where
1=SCT,2=BLT,4=MBLT,8=2eVME,0x10=2eSST)
        -a <VME addr>   VME address
        -d <data width> data width (8, 16, 32, 64)
        -s <window size>        window size (where 0 < window_size <=
0x400000)
        -v              Be more verbose
        -h              Give this (short) help

[mvme6100]# vme_setoutboundwin -w0 -m0 -p8 -a0x8800 -d16 -s400000 -v
window = 0, mode = 0 protocol 0x8 vme_addr = 0x8800 data width = 16
__ioremap(): phys addr 01000000 is RAM lr d100be34
vmedrv: No memory for outbound window
ioctl VME_IOCTL_SET_OUTBOUND failed.: Cannot allocate memory

While searching on the web for information about __ioremap I found this:

/*
 * Remap an arbitrary physical address space into the kernel virtual
 * address space. Needed when the kernel wants to access high addresses
 * directly.
 *
 * NOTE! We need to allow non-page-aligned mappings too: we will obviously
 * have to convert them into an offset in a page-aligned mapping, but the
 * caller shouldn't need to know that small detail.
 */

 And another thing - people should not be using __ioremap() unless they
have a _good_ _reason_ in their driver.  They should be using ioremap()
instead.  __ioremap() is an architecture implementation detail which
has no interface stability guarantees _at all_.

How's that? So it seems that the kernel can't translate the accesses to the
VME bus propperly. Any ideas how to fix that?
Actually I cant figure out why configuring a single outbound window is so
damn tough to achieve.e maybe I'm missing some crutial settings. I tried to
set up the window attribute register, and the outbound translation offset
register in the hope to fit in the needed size for the window, but again
failed. I'm trying to get frustrated about that...

Best regards,
Konstantin