Subject: bug in glibc 2.1.2 new semaphore functions in libpthread?

From: Kevin Hendricks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:09:01 -0400

Hi,

Has anyone tested the new semaphore functions in glibc 2.1.2 in libpthreads? 

If I link the native threads version of the jdk with sem_wait@@GLIC_2.0,
sem_post@@GLIBC_2.0, etc, they work fine. 

If I link the native threads version of the jdk with the new semaphore
functions sem_wait@@GLIBC_2.1, sem_post@@GLIBC_2.1 then nothing works at all.

I found this out because I had two binariies from the same source, one of which
works and the other doesn't and the only difference was that the first (working
one) was built under an earlier glibc 2.1 while the latter was built with
Franz's latest glibc 2.1.2.

Upon further investigation with nm I found  that the only difference was in
which semaphore functions got linked in from libpthread.so.

If it matters, this is in a high signal environment (thread interrupts, thread
suspension for garabage collection, etc).

I had to drop back to glibc 2.1.1 and rebuild to get the
native_threads to start working again (so that they would link with the old
sem_* functions and not the new).

Has anyone really tested the new semaphore functions?  Are they known to be
broken?  

Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Kevin

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list.  Replies are ]]
[[ not  forced  back  to the list, so be sure to Cc linuxppc-dev if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. Please check http://lists.linuxppc.org/ ]]
[[ and http://www.linuxppc.org/ for useful information before posting.   ]]