Subject: Re: PHY not found after migration of gianfar driver to anof_platform_driver

From: Michael Guntsche <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 08:35:02 +0100

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:08:02 -0700, Grant Likely <[email-masked]>
wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Michael Guntsche <[email-masked]>
wrote:
> You mean like loading it of the CF or something?  Yeah, I suppose so
> if you wrote a minimal CF driver, but that seems the hard way around
> also.  You're far better off to statically link in a .dtb image and
> modify it.  If the bootloader doesn't provide you with any useful
> information, you can read the SoC registers to detect memory size and
> clock rate.  If you're lucky, the bootloader will have already
> assigned the correct MAC addresses for you and you can read those out
> also.

> 
> You can also try inspecting the memory pointed to by r3-r7 and seeing
> if any of them point to something interesting.

Regarding the registers I did a 

printf("Reg: %lu\n", r3); 

after the init of the serial console. While r4 to r7 where empty, I got
back a number 8756... from R3. 
I do not know what's in there though. Is there another better way to get to
the data?

> Oh.  So routerboot does understand dtb blobs?  Okay, I didn't
> understand that.  Yes, you can call the libfdt functions in your
> platform_init() to add the missing nodes.
I don't know if routerboot understands dtb blobs. If I boot with a standard
vmlinux image the board boots
as well so I think that the firmware provides a tree the prom code can
read. 
As for adding additional information to the tree, can I also use libfdt
functions in platform/83xx/rbppc.c or is it better to do this via a
dedicated platform_init that simpleboot then uses?

Once again thank you very much for helping me with this,
Michael