Subject: which kernel...?

From: johnathan spectre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:12:37 -0400

hello all,

i am new to linuxppc (finally got it working on my pismo) but not linux in
general. i'm noticing quite a few differences between the worlds (but am
very happy with linux on my powerbook). i have one big question though...

which kernel should i be using?

i rsync'ed down pmac-benh because someone on linuxppc-user told me that was
what i needed to support audio on my pismo. it works great (thanks ben) as
far as i can tell.. but there are also 4 other kernels (not to mention
xfree86 which i haven't tried yet...) to be had.

can someone explain the differences between them to me? will any of the
others run on my pismo? is any of the others "better" or "worse" (no offense
to all the coders involved)? should i just be quiet and happy with ben's
latest and do all of them plan on merging at some point and then folding
their code into what's available at www.kernel.org?

i'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but i didn't see it anywhere on the faqomatic..

thanks for any/all responses!

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/