Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/9 v3] Add the MPC8641 HPCN platform files.

From: Jon Loeliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:11:39 -0500

So, like, the other day Segher Boessenkool mumbled:
> 
> In that case you obviously need to sync the timebases, sure.
> The firmware could be smart and do the sync at CPU start-up
> time though.

I am investigating this and, as I indicated to Ben, submit
a follow up patch to  implement it if I figure out to do it.

> In
> some cases the kernel explicitly tells the firmware to start/
> stop the timebases, that's better than the kernel having to
> handle the nitty-gritty details itself already.
> 
> Thoughts?

Well, by the time Linux is running, there is no more firmware
available.  Linux is essentially autononomous at this stage,
and I think it will have to arrange for the TB sync itself.

jdl