Subject: Re: [PATCH 5/6] CPM_UART: unify clock sources

From: Jon Loeliger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 11:22:10 -0500

So, like, the other day Vitaly Bordug mumbled:
> That was my first guess as well, but: 
> The aim is yet moving to powerpc not to break existing ppc/ stuff. 
> So if alternatively platform_data may be utilized, all relevant ppc
> stuff that uses cpm uart should be updated. While doing the driver
> "platformize" trick, I made it possible to keep legacy behaviour
> (pd-less), this is not going to afford such a thing. 
> 
> IOW, I don't see much sense in updating ppc/ BSP files, just to keep
> the right way. It does not look very neat now, but does the job of
> moving FW and keeping existing stuff sane. If there is better approach
> envisioned, I'll definitely follow..

And don't forget that the subsequent, follow-up patches
will be to _remove_ the 85xx family from arch/ppc as well.
The trick right now is simply to get it working in arch/powerpc
so that we can move forward there.  Worrying about absolute
cleanliness in arch/ppc for 85xx shouldn't, in my opinion,
be the highest concern.

Thanks,
jdl