Subject: Re: Can not get "new" MPC8313e-RDB to boot "as-shipped" flash image

From: "Eric Cottrell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 19:58:00 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I got brave enough this weekend to try flashing uBoot using uBoot.  I used the uBoot image that is in my ltib rootfs/boot directory.  The build is 1.3.0 (Dec 22 2008 - 11:19:29) MPC83XX.  It worked.  On reboot the checksum on the uBoot environment was bad so it used the default environment.  I just did a saveenv, put in the bootm command with the right flash addresses, and it booted the default flash image.  Next I am going to configure to boot the ltib images in ram.

So the U-Boot 1.3.3 (Dec 8 2008 - 09:51:15) MPC83XX must have been a custom build that did not quite work or needed the additional things in the FDT.  I am going to research it before trying a later uBoot version.

So I am good to go.  Thanks for the help.

If there is a Rev C out soon I am going to wait and maybe buy the Rev C.

73 Eric
----- Start Original Message -----
Sent: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:55:53 -0500
From: Michael Bergandi <[email-masked]>
To: Norbert van Bolhuis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Can not get "new" MPC8313e-RDB to boot "as-shipped" flash image

> Hi guys,

I have the Rev B board and I have it working quite well. I'll share what
I have
discovered so far. 

In Eric's case, the board seems suspect. There is already a Rev C of this
board, but
I am not sure if it is actually available yet. You may want to check on
that.

Regarding U-Boot, mine shipped with v. 1.3.0. The LTIB provided dts files
follow
the original dts format. There is a new dts spec and if you ever intend
to use
a mainline kernel, you will need to use the newer dts provided in the
kernel
source. Did I mention this board has at least basic support in 2.6.28 :).
I have
not determined the extent of the support though.

I have successfully used the provided U-Boot v1.3.0 to boot a 2.6.28
kernel with
the dts-v1 device tree. Hence, I hope that will clear your speculation
about the
device tree being the problem.

I have seen the same problem that you guys have seen where U-Boot gets to
the "Uncompressing kernel ..." then reboots. This happened to me when I
passed the wrong device tree .dtb. I have also had this happen if I made
a change to the kernel config. I haven't been able to determine what
exactly
that I changed that caused the problem though.

Also, if you are feeling adventurous, you can also get the latest U-Boot.
There
is a specifc branch for this board:

$ git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-mpc83xx.git

I haven't attempted this since I don't currently have a probe to recovery
a
bad boot loader flash.

Hope this helps,

Mike

----- End Original Message -----