Subject: Re: Roles for distributions

From: Gary Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 13:16:42 -0600 (MDT)

On 11-Sep-2000 Hendricks, Kevin wrote:
>
> Hi David,
>
>>      Kevin, I think that your initial message was much more hostile
>>than necessary.  It did not come across as PowerPC Linux volunteers need
>>more help.  Instead of attacking everyone who had a negative reaction to
>>your original note, maybe you should consider that it was phrased poorly.
>>You have jumped down my throat enough times when I came across differently
>>than I had intended.
>>
>>David
>
> Yes, you are absolutely correct.  Hindsight is 20/20.
>
> I still don't read my note as "hostile" to distribution individuals or
> developers but enough people have and continue to do so.  That means what I
> meant to say and what they read are not the same thing.
>
> Unfortunately, empiricial evidence is nice but after the fact! ;-)  I just
> don't like things becoming personal and still don't.  It just isn't needed.
>
> I tried to correct my "error" by saying that it was never my intent to
> imply or state that individuals do not contribute enough.  It was to say
> the toolchain is important and we are basically down to Franz and he
> doesn't even have glibc checkin privleges.
>
> I still think the distributions could free up someone even part time now
> that Gary Thomas has gone away and should. They are the only ones making
> any money and the only ones that have the financial resources.  The rest of
> us just volunteer our time.
>

To [mis]quote Mark Twain, "the tale of my departure is greatly exagerated".

Yes, I have been silent, but not ignorant.  I read these lists constantly,
and try and keep up.  Although I do not currently have the capacity [mostly
time] to contribute much, I am ever watching and kibitzing.

I fully understand the plight all of us face.  Linux on the PowerPC is a
force.  It should be a larger force.  But for the lack of corporate resources
and commitments, it will remain only a force.  This will change, I fervently
hope.  IBM has recently made some good movement in this direction.  Red Hat
also has a number of projects which involve Linux on PowerPC.  I do what
I can constantly to push this.  I know that real work is also taking place
at a number of other sites.

Today, there is no single entity out there that can support everything that's
required for Linux on PowerPC.  Many companies and certainly individuals work
at it.  None should be faulted for their efforts, nor for their inability to
apply more resources to efforts we probably all agree are worthwhile.

Bickering and back-stabbing [no stone throwing by me] are bad for all.

Remember, we are in this together, competitors and friends alike.  Let's
act that way and make Linux on PowerPC a huge force in the world :-)

--
Gary Thomas - [email-masked] - [email-masked]

** Sent via the linuxppc-dev mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/