Subject: Re: Starting the arch/powerpc merge

From: Giuliano Pochini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:19:08 +0200 (CEST)

On 06-Oct-2005 Paul Mackerras wrote:

>> Out of curiosity, is there any advantage in using a 32 bits
>> kernel on ppc64 over a 64 bits kernel ?  Speed ?  Complexity ?
>> Compatibility ?  Memory ?
>
> Not really.  The main thing in the past has been that DRI with 32-bit
> X server and clients would work with a 32-bit kernel but not a 64-bit
> kernel, but that's fixed now.  A 64-bit kernel is faster on most
> lmbench tests.  I guess a 32-bit kernel might end up a little smaller,
> but that's the only possible advantage I can think of.

And 32<->64 bits compatibility layer for 32bits apps is not needed,
so maybe they run a bit faster. Well, at this point IMHO 32-on-64
support may be dropped without regrets. Spending time for an useless
thing is - uhm - useless.

> Oops, sorry, mail system breakage here...

My mail wasn't important anyway :))

--
Giuliano.