Subject: RE: Embedded ppc project

From: Gary Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:25:03 -0000 (GMT)

On 22-Jan-99 Pink X wrote:
> 
> 
> Can someone give me  a brief overview of how the boot process works for 
> linuxppc on non-mac, non-open firmware hardware?
> 
> For instance, we're looking at a custom processor board for a project... 
> basically it will have a CPU, a DiskOnChip of about 24MB, RAM and a 
> drive.   Will it be hugely difficult to get linuxppc to boot out of the 
> DoC (with a kernal and compress root ramdisk in the DiskOnChip)  Does the 
> kernel make assumptions about there being certain types of hardware or a 
> open firmware roms being there?  Will it be hugely difficult for (very 
> experienced programmers who have worked on unix but not linux 
> specifically) to get the kernal hacked to our hardware formfactor (not 
> counting any I/O work, just booting in this environment.)
> 
> Any advice appreciated!  We may go with the RPCLite board, but we kinda 
> need a 603e level of power.  (So any 603e @200+MHz embedded boards would 
> be great to hear about, we've not found any yet.)
> 

One place to look is:
  Cogent Computer Systems
  (508) 278-9400
  http://www.cogcomp.com/

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Thomas                              |
email: [email-masked]                  | "Fine wine is a necessity of
   ... opinions expressed here are mine  |        life for me"
       and no one else would claim them! |
                                         |      Thomas Jefferson
------------------------------------------------------------------------

[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to  Cc linuxppc-dev  if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. To unsubscribe from linuxppc-dev, send ]]
[[ the message 'unsubscribe' to [email-masked] ]]