Subject: Re: [patch 31/39] Documentation: PCI: Add reference to PCI/MSI device driver APIs

From: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 13:31:10 -0400

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 02:55:04PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> From: Ahmed S. Darwish <[email-masked]>
> 
> All exported device-driver MSI APIs are now grouped in one place at
> drivers/pci/msi/api.c with comprehensive kernel-docs added.
> 
> Reference these kernel-docs in the official PCI/MSI howto.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Ahmed S. Darwish <[email-masked]>
> Signed-off-by: Thomas Gleixner <[email-masked]>
> 
> ---
>  Documentation/PCI/msi-howto.rst |   10 ++++++++++
>  1 file changed, 10 insertions(+)

I was wondering what the payoff was for moving everything to api.c,
this seems pretty good.

Though, in some regards it might be cleaner to teach ":export:" about
how to process symbol namespaces and put all the architecture facing
exports in some PCI_MSI_ARCH/IRQCHIP namespace which could achieve the
same effect for kdoc as moving all the code around and have the bonus
of discouraging people from mis-using the APIs inside inappropriate
drivers.

But, I like the idea, and the outcome is great so

Reviewed-by: Jason Gunthorpe <[email-masked]>

Jason